But no more wondering if my longing will be fulfilled, and at a cost of $5 or more (doesn’t that seem like a lot for a bit of fried dough and sugar?). I can easily make these at home, and they’re just as delicious if not even more so. Oh, and bonus: I can have one all to myself and not feel like a bad mom because I can’t share well.
And these are even the right colors for Independence Day!
Funnel Cakesmakes 8 (7”) cakes
· about 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
· 1 1/2 cups milk
· 2 eggs
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
· 2 cups raspberries
· 2 cups blueberries or blackberries
1. In a small cast iron skillet, heat about an inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, beat milk and eggs together. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the egg mixture until smooth. Pour batter into a gallon ziptop bag.
3. When the oil is hot, snip off the corner of the bag, making an opening about 1/2” in diameter. Start from the center in a spiral, then back and forth a couple of times, to make a 6 or 7 inch round. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and top with fresh berries. Serve warm.
Indulge, and celebrate your freedom to do so!
Click here for a printable version