The Salted Caramel Treats were pretty tasty, but, again, not the contrast of flavors I expected. You can find the recipe here. I’ll definitely try them again, perhaps with more salt.
Redbook also had another recipe, for a Rocky Road version of treats. I modified it a bit by adding peanut butter chips and crushed potato chips to cut the sweetness. These were proclaimed awesome by the hooligans and soldiers alike, and the middle kid even insisted they needed to be on my blog “to share with the world.”
He obviously has an exaggerated sense of my presence on the web. They are darned good, though.
Krispy S’Mores SquaresYield: 24 squares Prep Time: 15 minutes
¼ cup butter
10 oz mini marshmallows
2/3 cup Nutella
½ tsp salt
6 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
1 cup marshmallow fluff
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup crushed potato chips
1. Melt butter in large saucepan. Stir in marshmallows until smooth and melted. Add Nutella, salt, and vanilla. Stir in cereal.
2. Line a 13x9 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Pour cereal mixture into pan and press firmly into pan.
3. Spread marshmallow fluff on top, then sprinkle with remaining ingredients.
4. Preheat broiler. Broil treats for a couple of minutes, until marshmallows on top begin to brown. It doesn’t take long!
5. Let cool then cut into 24 squares. These are super rich, so you may want to cut the squares in half. Or at least have a vat of black coffee standing by.
Click here for a printable recipe
Linking up to The Frugal Girls Chic and Crafty party